Contractor Health and Safety
Project Managers, Contract Authorities, Contractors and Service Providers
Contractor Health and Safety Code of Practice
If you are a Contractor or Service Provider, an employee of Contractor or Service Provider or a Project Manager or Contract Authority bringing Contractor(s) or Service Provider(s) to University of Saskatchewan (U of S) owned or leased properties, you must adhere to the Contractor Health and Safety Code of Practice. It provides the health and safety expectations, defines roles and responsibilities and provides the processes for safely executing contracted construction or service projects at the U of S.
Contractor Health and Safety Orientation
Before any contractors, employees of contractors or sub-contractors perform work on University of Saskatchewan owned or leased property, they must attend the University's Contractor Health and Safety Orientation program.
Date: Every Tuesday
Time: 8:30–9:15 am
Location: Room 140, Research Annex (105 Maintenance Road)
Please note that the classroom capacity is 38 people and this class is offered on a first come, first serve basis. The doors open at 8 am with no admittance after 8:30 am.
A card confirming completion of Contractor Safety Orientation will be issued to attendants and is valid for three years from date of issue.
Resources and Forms for Project Managers/Contract Authorities
All forms are intended to support processes and/or requirements of the Contractor Health and Safety Code of Practice and the processes related to Projects or Service work at the U of S.
- Contractor Health and Safety Code of Practice - Process Diagram
- Visual representation of the processes and documents associated with the Contractor Code of Practice
- Pre-Bid Hazard Information Checklist
- Pre-bid hazard information for contractors or service providers
- Contractor Bid Safety Evaluation
- Checklist for the health and safety documentation provided by a contractor or service provider who intends to bid on a job at the University of Saskatchewan (U of S)
- Safety Compliance Checklist for Contractors
- A checklist of minimum health and safety program requirements for contractors or service providers wanting to work at the U of S
- Group Hazard Identification Risk Assessment - Procedure
- Group Hazard Identification Risk Assessment - Form
- Document and process involving Project Manager/Contract Authority, Contractor and Safety Resources to identify hazards, assess risk and communicate and agree on controls prior to work beginning
- Contractor Hot Work Permit
- Checklist and permit for when hot work is required for project or service related work at the U of S
- Contractor Site Specific Safety Plan Checklist
- For meeting minimum requirements when designated a Prime Contractor or by an evaluator of a contractors site specific safety plan
- Demolition Checklist and Permit
- Checklist and permit to ensure all demolition related to a project or service work is completed in an approved manner
- Fall Protection and Rescue Plan Checklist
- Checklist and template to ensure all fall protection and rescue plans meet minimum standards and all work at heights at the U of S is done safely
- Critical Lift Plan Checklist
- Plan and template to ensure all crane lifts are documented and executed in the safest manner possible
- Underground Utility Locates
- A verification that all underground utility locates are done according to Facilities Operations and Maintenance information and process
- Lock Out Tag Out Plan
- To ensure that the proper U of S trades personnel are contacted and involved the isolation of hazardous energy sources
- Traffic Control Plan
- To ensure safe diversion of vehicular and pedestrian traffic during work activities