Lockdown procedures may be initiated in a variety of emergency situations including:
- Severe weather (e.g. tornado)
- A serious environmental event (e.g. chemical spill due to a train derailment)
- Severe violence involving weapons (e.g. active shooter on campus)
Individuals should use careful judgment to determine the safest decision during a lockdown. The key to formulating safe/smart decisions is recognizing and understanding your environment. As such, it is important that you are familiar with your surroundings including:
- Local emergency contact information (Protective Services - 5555; Emergency Services - 9-911)
- Location of safe area
- The nearest exits and alternative exits.
Lockdown drills are administered by Safety Resources. If you require more information or would like to coordinate a lockdown drill, contact the Fire and Life Safety Team.