How Do I?

Was this page helpful for you?

Did you find the information you wanted on this visit? Your feedback will help guide improvements to our website. Contact

Contact Safety Resources

We offer a number of services to support health and safety at the University of Saskatchewan

Phone: 306-966-4675
Facsimile: 306-966-8394

Hours of operation:
Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

After hours, weekends & emergencies: contact Protective Services 306-966-5555

This page has been created to provide step by step answers to commonly asked questions.

Dispose of hazardous waste?


3. Complete all fields then click Submit to send your form 

  • Once you click submit, your waste form will automatically be sent to WMF staff. There is no need to email or fax a copy of the form.
  • A waste shipment number will be automatically assigned to your request.
  • If you want to prepare a new shipment, exit and complete a new Hazardous Waste Disposal Form

4. Check your email 

  • A confirmation email with a copy of your completed form will be sent to the email address you provided. You should keep this copy for your records.

5. Ensure all waste is properly labelled and ready for transport 

6. Contact us if you have questions 

  • Email
  • General office: 150 Research Annex, 105 Maintenance Road
  • Call WMF staff at (306) 966-8497

***Important note for waste generators who bring their hazardous waste to Agriculture Stores or Chemistry Stores***

  • Prior to bringing waste to Agriculture Stores (Ag 1E26) or Chemistry Stores (Thorv G46), submit your form(s) online. Make sure to include this information in the “Pickup Location” field on the Hazardous Waste Disposal Form
  • Print your confirmation email and bring it with your waste for disposal
All waste for disposal must be labelled with orange hazardous waste labels

How do I obtain safety equipment for an employee?

Safety equipment or personal protective equipment (PPE) is an appropriate preventative and protective measure to manage a hazard when all other measures have been exhausted. 

1. Selecting preferred vendors 

Safety equipment or PPE and be purchased from a variety of local vendors and university stores/supply centres.  Fisher Scientific is a preferred supplier for many laboratory-based supplies and can also supply safety equipment and PPE.  Support for the purchasing process and applicable policies are provided by Purchasing Services (306-966-6704).  Please remember that some PPE, such as respiratory protection, must be properly fit tested before use.

2. Contact Safety Resources 

For assistance in:

  • selecting safety equipment or PPE,
  • fit testing of respiratory protection, or
  • identifying an appropriate preventative and protective measure for a hazard in your workplace,

please contact Safety Resources at 306-966-4675 or

Know what to do when there is a fire alarm?

1. If the fire alarm sounds for LONGER than 10 seconds 

Evacuate the building as quickly as possible. To find the evaluation plan in your building, speak with your supervisor. For any additional information refer to the Fire Safety Plan.

2. If the fire alarm sounds for LESS than 10 seconds 

Fire alarm tests are conducted on the first Monday of each month.  This is routine fire alarm inspection and maintenance testing.  The FMD Customer Service Centre will have notified your building when maintenance is occurring.

Know when and why to complete an incident form?

1. Complete when 

Any person is involved in an incident or near miss incident, while engaged in activities at, or conducting work for, the University of Saskatchewan.

Click here for more information on how to report an incident

Click here to report an incident

2. Reason for completing 

Incident reports are intended to provide formal records of all incidents that have occurred at the university. The information gathered is important for analyzing the causes of incidents and implementing corrective and preventive measures to minimize recurrence.

The information detailed in the report is also important for claims with the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB).

Click here to report an incident

3. What action is taken 

All incident reports are reviewed and tracked by Safety Resources. As necessary, Safety Resources will provide advice and support to ensure appropriate corrective and preventative actions have been taken following an incident.

4. Who should complete 

Incident reports must be completed by the individual involved in the incident, along with the participation of the individual’s direct supervisor.

Click here to report an incident

Know where to report an odour in a building?

1. Report an odour during regular office hours 

Monday to Friday, from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm:

By contacting the FMD Customer Service Centre

After hours (evenings and weekends):

By contacting Protective Services

  • Phone 306-966-5555

2. Report an odour after hours 

Contact Campus Safety at 966-5555.

Register for safety training?

1. If you are a U of S employee 

  1. Login to the online registration system using a valid Network Services ID (NSID) and password.

    If you do not have an NSID, call IT Services at 966-4817
  2. Select Register for a Course

  3. If you have never registered for a course you will be prompted to complete a registration form with your personal contact information. This will only be required the first time you register for a class.
  4. Select the course, date, and time you wish to attend from the list provided.
  5. Click the Register button.

    You will receive an email confirmation that you are registered and you will receive a reminder just prior to the course date.

2. If you are not a U of S employee 

  1. Download and print the Registration Form
  2. Complete all questions.
  3. Send the completed form to Safety Resources, or:
    • Mail to Safety Resources, Room 150 Research Annex
      • 105 Maintenance Road, Saskatoon, SK  S7N 5C5
    • Fax to 306-966-8394

Report an incident, on the job injury, or near miss

1. Log in to Incident Report Form 

Log in here to access the Incident Report Form

Click here for more infomation on how to complete the incident report

2. Enter your NSID and password and click on “login” 

If you do not have a Network Services ID (NSID), call the IT Help Desk at 966-4817.

  1. If you have incidents that have been created under your NSID, or require your review as a Supervisor, they will appear on your screen.

3. Click the Report a New Incident link top right hand corner. 

A blank Incident Reporting Form window will open.  

  1. Under Personal Information, your name, NSID, Department, Occupation and Email should be automatically displayed in the window. Enter the Years of Job Experience you possess.
  2. Under Supervisor Information, select your direct Supervisor from the drop-down list. The supervisor’s email address should automatically be displayed.
  3. Enter the date of the incident under Incident Date. There is a quick link to a calendar function to simplify the selection of the date.
  4. Enter the time of the incident under Time of Incident.
  5. Under Location Description, enter details of the location of the incident in the text box.
  6. Under Description, enter a description of the incident in your own words.
  7. If an injury was sustained requiring you to seek attention from a medical professional, select Yes for Medical Attention Received. If you did not require the attention of a medical professional, select No. The use of first aid supplies available on campus to treat an injury does not constitute the need for medical attention.
  8. Under Acknowledgement select the check box to confirm that the information provided is accurate and that you will keep your supervisor informed of the status of any injury you incurred as a result of the incident. 

The report can only be submitted if all required information is entered.

4. Click the Submit button to report to Safety Resources 

  1. The report will only submit if all required information is entered.
  2. Ensure you always report an incident or near miss to your supervisor.  

5. Supervisor will be notified of the incident. 

  1. Your supervisor will be able to view the information you have provided and will need to complete an action plan, entering in immediate and long term actions that will be taken to correct identified deficiencies and prevent reoccurrence and time frames they will be completed by.


It is important that the supervisor confirm if the individual involved in the incident required medical attention from a physician. If medical attention was required, a Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB) E1 form (Employer’s Initial Report of Injury Form) must be completed and emailed to or faxed to 306-966-2882. Wellness Resources will forward the E1 form to the WCB.

Employers must report injuries to the WCB within five days of being aware of an injury (The Workers’ Compensation Act, 1979 section 52, 53). Failure to report an injury as required may result in a fine up to $1,000 plus the cost associated with the claim.

For more information on WCB reporting requirements, please contact Wellness Resources at 306-966-4580 or

Request an ergonomic assessment?

Please note: This service is for U of S employees only.

  • Ergonomic assessments are performed as a preventative measure, or in response to an employee’s medical issues, disabilities or musculoskeletal problems.
  • An ergonomics assessment will evaluate the employee’s workstation for ergonomic risk factors and make recommendations based on best practices.
  • Ergonomic assessments are intended to fit the job to the worker by:
    • reducing the risk of musculoskeletal injury,
    • helping to accommodate temporary or permanent disabilities, and
    • improving worker comfort and productivity.

1. Review the Ergonomics Office Self-Help Manual 

Ergonomics - Office Self-Help Manual

The first step is to consult the self-help manual to make changes and adjustments to your workspace. The manual provides guidelines, references and basic tools that will help you to proactively set up and adjust your workspace to reduce the risk of musculoskeletal strain and injury.

Please ensure you have completed this step before proceeding.

2. Request an ergonomic assessment 

If you have completed Step 1 but you are still experiencing difficulties, you may request an assessment appointment by completing the online Ergonomic Assessment Request Form.

  • Ergonomic assessments result in the provision of recommendations based on best practices
  • Ergonomic assessments are not required to purchase office furniture such as chairs and workstations:
    • Colleges and administrative units are expected to plan for periodic furniture/equipment replacements within their allocated operating budgets, including upgrades and replacements of worn, damaged or outdated office furniture or equipment.
  • Office furniture is to be procured through FMD, in accordance with the University of Saskatchewan Furniture Policy.
  • If accessing the request form from off-campus locations: you will need to preface your NSID with usask/ (i.e. usask/abc123) when logging into SharePoint 
  • There is no charge for the evaluation and your supervisor is welcome to attend the appointment
  • For more information, contact Safety Resources or phone 306-966-4675