Step 1. Discuss options with your supervisor
Your department is responsible for accomodating your needs at work. If you are experiencing discomfort at your computer workstation, notify your supervisor to determine available options within your department (different chairs, keyboards, document holders, etc).
- You do not require an ergonomic assessment to purchase approved office furniture
- Visit the Quick Pick Furniture List for more information on approved furniture options
- Furniture and equipment purchases are the responsibility of your department
- Chairs and ergonomic furniture owned by your department may be moved around to accomodate employees
- Many approved items can also be procured through IT Acquisitions
Step 2. Adjust your own workstation!
After completing this short course, you will be able to set up and adjust your own workstation.
- Register for Office Ergonomics Online Training
Step 3. Refer to the Healthy Workstation Guide
Refer to our Healthy Workstation Guide to reinforce the information presented in the online course.
- Download the Healthy Workstation Guide
Step 4. Office Ergonomics Support
Tried everything above and still having issues? Contact our Ergonomics Support Team to review any concerns and determine the next steps.
FAQ - How Do I...
... know when I need new office furniture?
- Your chair should:
- be reasonably modern
- have ergonomic adjustment features available (see example here)
- be in working condition / good repair
- Your desk should:
- have room for your computer monitor and all of your working items (documents, telephone, etc.)
- measure between 29 - 31" tall
- allow room to move around your office
- have a keyboard tray attached for proper positioning
- Your computer should:
- have adjustable monitors (height and desk position)
- not just be a laptop (external monitors and keyboard / mouse recommended)
- Your keyboard and mouse should:
- fit on your keyboard tray
- be suitable for your line of work (number pad accessible or removable)
... buy new office furniture?
You do not need a doctor's note or an ergonomic assessment to purchase approved office furniture. Review and select an item from the Quick Pick Furniture List and purchase directly from the supplier.
(NOTE: Prices on the list are current as of July 2018 and are subject to change)
- If your total order is under $10,000, please place your order with a PCard.
- If your furniture order is over $10,000 or contains items NOT found on the Quick Pick Furniture List, then please fill out this online form with details of your request.
For any questions regarding furniture purchases, please contact Facilities Support Services at email@example.com or (306) 966-4496.
... adjust my current office chair?
Register for Office Ergonomics Online Training and work through the steps to adjust every moving part on your chair.
Find the user manual for your chair below:
- Steelcase Leap Task Chair (video and paper guide)
- Haworth Zody Task Chair
- Herman Miller Mirra 2 Task Chair (video and paper guide)
- Herman Miller Aeron Chair (video and paper guide)
- Teknion Projek Task Chair
... obtain a keyboard tray?
Keyboard trays are supplied and installed for free for employees of the University of Saskatchewan.
Contact Facilities online:
- Select “Request a Service”
- Select “Repairs or Maintenance”;
- Fill in the blanks and state that you would like “a keyboard tray supplied and installed"