Obtaining Safety Equipment
Safety equipment or personal protective equipment (PPE) is an appropriate preventative and protective measure to manage a hazard when all other measures have been exhausted. Selecting and purchasing personal protective equipment is the responsibility of the work unit (department / working group / principle investigator, etc.).
Selecting preferred vendors
Safety equipment or PPE can be purchased from a variety of local vendors and university stores/supply centres. Fisher Scientific is a preferred supplier for many laboratory-based supplies and can also supply safety equipment and PPE.
NOTE: Respiratory protection must be properly fit tested before use.
Contact Safety Resources for assistance in:
- Selecting safety equipment or PPE;
- Fit testing of respiratory protection;
- Identifying an appropriate preventative and protective measure for a hazard in your workplace.
For more information, contact Safety Resources.
Testing Safety Equipment
The following safety equipment is tested by Safety Resources:
- Fire extinguisher – inspection - annual
- Fumehoods – faceflow velocity - annual
- Respiratory protection – fit testing – offered every Wednesday
- Harnesses (fall protection) – offered on demand
- AEDs – monthly
Other safety equipment must be inspected, tested and / or maintained by members of your working group. This includes:
- Eyewashes and safety showers in laboratories
- Biosafety cabinets / laminar flow hoods
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) (e.g. lab coats; gloves; eye and face protection: glasses / goggles / face shield)
For more information on testing safety equipment in you workplace, contact Safety Resources.